Sunday, May 19, 2013

The spirit of Norway in EPCOT

You are not the first to pass this way.
Nor will you be the last...to experience the peril and adventure of Norway in EPCOT's World Showcase.  My family history takes me through Norway and I encourage you to experience this pavilion for yourself.

You may have walked through the Stave Church or rode Maelstrom.  I hope you stopped to enjoy the film at the end of the ride to get a bit more of the "feel" of the essence of Norway. I always enjoy walking through The Puffin's Roost and taking a picture with the Troll.
















Then if you're lucky enough, you'll have the opportunity to meet my favorite fragrance designer, Geir Ness.  He comes to Walt Disney World 3-4 times a year and is happy to share his fragrances.  "Laila" is his women's fragrance that he named after his Mother.  It has a fresh clean scent with a hint of lilac and is wonderful if you have sensitive skin, as Norwegians are known for fair skin.  "Geir" is name of his men's cologne and I love that scent as well.


The Kringola Bakeri Og Kafe is a wonderful quick service meal where you can enjoy the types of sandwiches and pastries and desserts found in Norway.




But if you'd like a special treat, I recommend Akershus.  The host welcomes your Royal Family.  This is a character meal with the Princesses for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  I really enjoyed the buffet, as I have experienced breakfast and dinner here.  Your meal includes 4 prints in 4X6 size and one 6X8 size of your party in the entrance with Belle.

It's wonderful to have the Princesses come to your table for picture opportunities.  During your meal, your child can even participate in their form of Prince and Princess Processional where you can parade around the restaurant with the Princesses.  I truly wanted to join in, even though I don't have kids.

The breakfast seems a bit Americanized with eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, yogurt, etc...With all meals in Akershus, your host/hostess brings the hot food to your table and you can go up to the buffet for cold items.  Dinner is much the same.  You select an entree and they bring it fresh and hot to your table.  I enjoyed the "Traditional Kjottkake" which is Norwegian meatballs served with mashed potatoes and green beans with Lingonberry Sauce.


The people of Norway are known for their hospitality, especially when it comes to their native cuisine.  The Norwegian Buffet is called "koldthord" although the literal meaning is "cold table" which includes cold meats, seafood, salads, cheeses, breads as well as traditional hot items.  One thing to keep in mind is that Norwegians do eat a lot of seafood and their buffets are a little different than Americanized buffets.  Take a moment to take in the culture of this great land and enjoy the food and atmosphere.







3 comments:

  1. I love this place! My grandmother was Norwegian. I would bring her a souvenir every time I went there. She loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment. I'm happy that it brought a taste of Norway and "home" to you.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this blog post opened my eyes to a whole new perspective! auto clicker emulate the actions of a mouse click. They can be configured to click a certain number of times per second or click continuously until the user stops the process.

    ReplyDelete